10 Things to Know About Reiki
1. It is an energy based modality: Rei translates to universal or intelligent, and ki is energy. It is believed that the life force energy that flows through the practitioner to the client automatically reaches areas that are in need of clearing, balancing or energizing.
2. Reiki helps on multiple levels: Receiving a reiki treatment may be beneficial for the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels. It is often used in conjunction with conventional treatments to speed healing and alleviate pain. It may help individuals to process mental and emotional tensions, and for many it is a spiritually elevating experience.
3. People report it is stress relieving: Individuals often say that after a reiki session, they come away with a greater sense of clarity, and feeling more relaxed, peaceful, and centered.
4. It does no harm: Reiki is a gentle modality that can be of benefit to anyone regardless of age or health condition.
5. A session involves laying-on of hands: In a typical session, the client is fully clothed, and the practitioner places her hands on or over specific areas of the body that correspond to energy centers and pathways. The energy flows effortlessly to where it is needed.
6. Reiki is being integrated into the hospital setting: As it’s therapeutic benefits become more recognized, Reiki is being incorporated into traditional healing practices. For example, Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and New York Presbyterian Hospital offer reiki as a complementary treatment for certain cancer patients. The well known cardiologist, Dr. Mehmet Oz, who directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital, has stated that he has incorporated reiki into the operating room.
7. Anyone can learn Reiki: Reiki is easy to learn. It is not necessary to be of any particular religion, spiritual affiliation, or educational level. All that is required is the pure intention to be of help to oneself and others.
8. Reiki is a Japanese healing art: This healing technique was discovered in Japan in1922 by Mikao Usui, who reported receiving the energy of Reiki while on a spiritual retreat. The developed technique was bought to the United States in the late 1930’s, and individuals have been learning how to engage this healing modality ever since.
9. Reiki can be directed across long distances: Energy is not constrained by time and space; therefore reiki’s healing energy can be effectively transmitted via the intention of the focused practitioner to the recipient regardless of the distance between them.
10. Even non-people enjoy reiki. Reiki energy is valuable not only for people, but animals as well. Dogs and cats often will be drawn to where reiki is taking place, and even plants can benefit from this positive healing energy.